Environment and Lung Health
The BTS Position Statement on the Environment and Lung Health was published in March 2017. The document marks the 60th anniversary of the UK Clean Air Act and proposes actions that BTS, its members and others can take to reduce climate change or mitigate its effects.
We will be developing this section of the website to provide further information and examples of good practice. In the meantime, here are 5 things BTS members and other health care professionals can do to make a difference in their workplace.
- First and foremost, read the Position Statement – and share it with colleagues.
- Talk to the ‘sustainability lead’ in your place of work – find out how your organisation measures up, and what more could be done.
- Consider switching from metered dose inhalers (pMDIs) to non-propellant devices (which have a carbon footprint roughly 18 times lower than pMDIs), whenever they are likely to be equally effective.
- Always promote (where clinically indicated) high value treatments and interventions, such as smoking cessation, flu vaccination etc. They promote health and reduce future costs.
- Tell us what you’re doing that is successful in your workplace – we’re keen to see and share best practice: email@example.com
The pharmacy finder link on the right of this page (which allows you to locate your local pharmacy for recycling inhalers) is funded by GSK. Please note that in linking to this external site BTS is not endorsing GSK or its products, but wishes to point out that this resource exists.