Clinical Excellence Awards 2019
The deadline for seeking BTS support for the 2019 ACCEA round is 5pm on Monday 25 February 2019.
The main ACCEA deadline for applications is 4 April 2019 - please see further details here.
The BTS Nominations Committee will meet in March to approve the supported applications for the 2019 Clinical Excellence Award round.
This process applies to BTS members in England and Wales. No awards will be made in Scotland in 2019. Clinical Excellence Awards in Northen Ireland have also been suspended in recent years.
BTS members should send an application form by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org in the format outlined below by 5pm on Monday 25 February 2019. It should be sent marked "CEA application - in confidence" in the subject heading of an email. Please note applications received after this time will not be considered.
Please also note that this year applicants are asked to submit a draft citation which will be used as a basis for the BTS citation should your application be approved for support.
RENEWALS - if you are seeking BTS support for the renewal of an existing award please complete the relevant forms and submit them by the closing date. You should state clearly in your covering email that you are seeking support for RENEWAL of an existing award. Consultants will need to put in a renewal application if:
- they received their current award in the 2015 round
- their award was last renewed in 2014 (awarded in 2010, 2005, 2000)
The Nominations Committee will undertake the scoring process and agree the list of supported candidates in March.
Citations and ranked lists of supported candidates will be submitted via the ACCEA online system in time to meet the ACCEA deadline of 4 April 2019.
Members in England and Wales will need to register with the ACCEA online system (and submit an RCP London self-nomination form if they wish to be considered for support by RCP London) in addition to providing the BTS with the appropriate application form.
Those members that wish to seek support from the Royal College of Physicians London should note the details on the RCP website.
Members are discouraged from lobbying colleagues on the Nominations Committee.
Applicants may apply by either:
using one of the following word documents for submission to BTS (please note that these forms are word documents based on the previous year's form).
sending in an updated version of a previous copy of a form (clearly marking which level of award is being applied for) and adding a statement of two further domains:
The BTS form asks for a brief comment on the two "extra" domains.
Domain 6 – contribution to Respiratory Medicine
Domain 7 – contribution to the British Thoracic Society
Please also include a draft citation which BTS will use should your application be approved for support.
Bronze or Silver candidates may choose to submit ONE of the supplementary forms below with their application form.
Gold candidates may choose to submit up to TWO of the forms below:
Please note that the above forms are the most current and up to date.
Completing the application form
Members should bear in mind the following points when completing the application form:
- Please use the personal statement to draw out specific achievements (since your last award). This should be used to emphasise and highlight particular points and should not be a repetition of other parts of the form.
- Please note that the Committee will base their assessment on the content of the form only so please ensure that this contains all relevant information.
- Domains 6 and 7 will assist the BTS Nominations Committee in writing in support of your application if your support is confirmed.
- Members in England will need to register with the ACCEA online system (and submit an RCP London self-nomination form if they wish to be considered for support by RCP London) in addition to providing the BTS with the appropriate application form.
Applications should be sent to: email@example.com the format outlined by 5pm on Monday 25 February 2019.