Science and Research Committee
The Committee has two main functions:
- to develop a high quality, balanced scientific Winter Meeting which promotes dissemination of the very best scientific and therapeutic advances in lung disease and lung health from the UK and worldwide;
- to explore ways in which there might be access to BTS networks for recruitment to studies that are not eligible for consideration by the NCRN and/or NHS portfolio (for example surveys of rare lung diseases). Close liaison with the Society’s Specialist Advisory Groups is required in order to carry out this function.
The annual BTS Winter Meeting is one of the largest single respiratory society conferences in Europe and the highlight of our profesional calendar. The Meeting promotes dissemination of the very best scientific and therapeutic advances in lung disease and lung health from the UK and worldwide.
The Committee also provides a national platform within the UK to support clinical academic trainees in Respiratory Medicine, including those in Academic Clinical Fellow posts, those doing formal research training as part of an 'out-of programme' fellowship and those in clinical lectureship posts.
The Committee also provides representation from BTS on the following groups:
- the SAC for Respiratory Medicine (at the JRCPTB)
- the UK Respiratory Research Collaborative
- the Respiratory Specialty Group of the UKCRN